- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup drained maraschino cherries, patted dry
- Melted chocolate
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time; add extracts.
- Beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in cherries and nuts.
- Shape dough into 2 logs and place on baking sheets 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Remove from oven and reduce heat to 250 degrees F.
- Allow logs to cool slightly.
- Using a serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2 inch thick, diagonal slices.
- Transfer slices to baking sheets, standing upright.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden and cookies
are almost completely dry.
- Cool on rack.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate; set on wax paper to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.