- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk, divided
- 1/3 cup candied red
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon green food
- 1 square semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- In a medium mixing bowl beat shortening and butter until soft.
- Stir in flour, sugar, egg, 2 tablespoons milk, vanilla extract, baking soda and
salt. Beat until well combined then divide dough into thirds.
- To the first dough add chocolate and 2 teaspoons milk.
- To the second dough, mix in candied cherries.
- To the third portion, mix in nuts, remaining 2 teaspoons milk and food coloring.
- Line the bottom of a loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Press cherry dough into the bottom, followed by chocolate dough, and finally
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Invert the pan to remove dough and discard the plastic wrap.
- Cut dough into 1/4-inch slices, then crosswise into thirds to make strips.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just starting to brown.
Yield: 72 cookies
Recipe used with permission from
Nestlé and meals.com.