Bolitas (Sweet Christmas Tamales)
- 2 pounds hojas (corn husks)
- 2 pounds masa
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup dry raisins
- 4 teaspoons aniseed
- Soak corn husks in hot water for 20 or 30 minutes until pliable. Stand in a pan
to let them drain.
- Mix masa with shortening, then add sugar, kneading and adding a little warm water
at a time to make a smooth dough. Then add cinnamon, raisins and aniseed, blending into dough.
- Lay softened husks on a large table. Put 4 tablespoons of mixture on bottom half
of each husk. Fold as for regular tamales.
- Stand assembled tamales in a small roaster pan half filled with water. Cover
with lid, bring water to a boil, and cook over medium heat for 1 hour. Masa will separate from husks when cooked.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.