Bolitas (Sweet Christmas Tamales)
- 2 pounds hojas (corn husks)
- 2 pounds masa
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup dry raisins
- 4 teaspoons aniseed
- Soak corn husks in hot water for 20 or 30 minutes until pliable. Stand in a pan
to let them drain.
- Mix masa with shortening, then add sugar, kneading and adding a little warm water
at a time to make a smooth dough. Then add cinnamon, raisins and aniseed, blending
- Lay softened husks on a large table. Put 4 tablespoons of mixture on bottom half
of each husk. Fold as for regular tamales.
- Stand assembled tamales in a small roaster pan half filled with water. Cover
with lid, bring water to a boil, and cook over medium heat for 1 hour. Masa will
separate from husks when cooked.