Bunuelos de Navidad
(Christmas Sweet Fritters - Mexico)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons anisette
- 9 ounces lard
- 9 ounces piloncillo
- Boil one tablespoon anisette in a cup of water and leave to cool.
- Mix and sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the eggs, the yolk and the anisette in water, as required, and
knead until the dough stiffens.
- Form into small balls and roll out on a floured board until very thin. Continue flattening
by hand on a napkin and place on a floured table.
- Heat the lard.
- Fry one by one in the lard.
- Heat the piloncillo in one cup of water with the remaining tablespoon
of anisette. This mixture will thicken to a light syrup. remove from heat and strain.
- Serve the fritters, broken into pieces, in bowls and pour the syrup over them.
Yield: 10 servings