Christmas Porridge (Julgrot)
Christmas rice porridge is a part of the traditional Swedish Christmas Eve supper.
According to tradition and practiced in many homes both in Sweden and America each
person must compose and recite a rhyme before touching the porridge and the one
who gets the almond hidden in the porridge will marry during the coming year.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 cups milk
- 1 blanched whole almond
- Cinnamon or grated almonds
- granulated sugar
- Cold milk
- Add washed and drained rice to boiling water. Again bring to a boil and
cook, uncovered, 1 minute.
- Drain rice thoroughly; add butter.
- Add rice, salt and sugar to milk in top of double boiler. Cover and cook
over gently boiling water until rice is tender and milk is absorbed, about 2 hours.
- Pour into serving dish and stir in almond.
- Sprinkle top generously with cinnamon and sugar or grated almonds and sugar.
- Serve with cold milk.
Yield: 8 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.