Cranberry Apple Dumplings with Crimson Sauce
Pick pastry to serve to your guests. Wrapped around tart apples and a cranberry sauce, pastry dumplings are a dessert everyone loves.
TIME SAVER: Use Betty Crocker® pie crust mix for the scratch pie crust in this recipe and save time.
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice or water
- 2 tablespoons red cinnamon candies
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- 4 small cooking apples (each about 3 inches in diameter), peeled and cored
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Additional sugar, if desired
- Fresh mint leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease bottom of jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch, or large cookie sheet with shortening.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, heat cranberry sauce, orange juice and candies over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture is hot and candies are melted; remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, cut shortening into flour and salt, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Roll pastry into rectangle, 18 x 16 inches. Cut pastry into four 8-inch squares, using pastry cutter or knife. Cut leaves from remaining 2-inch piece of pastry, using small leaf-shape cutter, pastry cutter or knife.
- Place apple on each pastry square. Spoon 1 tablespoon cranberry sauce mixture into center of each apple. Sprinkle each apple with 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Moisten corners of pastry squares. Bring 2 opposite corners of pastry up over apple; pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining corners; pinch edges of pastry to seal. Decorate with pastry leaves.
- Place dumplings in pan. Brush with egg; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender.
- Garnish each dumpling with mint leaf.
- Serve warm with remaining sauce mixture.
Prep: 30 min | Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 875 (Calories from Fat 385); Total Fat 43g (Saturated Fat 11g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 55mg; Sodium 340mg; Total Carbohydrate 119g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars ncg); Protein 8g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 2%; Iron 18%
Exchanges: nc Other Carbohydrate; nc Vegetable Carbohydrate Choices: nc
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.