- 12 to 14 ladyfingers
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatine
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup rum or brandy*
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped
* One tablespoon rum or brandy flavoring may be substituted for rum or brandy.
- Split ladyfingers; stand upright around inside of 9-inch springform pan.
- Mix gelatine, 1/4 cup sugar and salt in saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks with 1 cup milk; stir into gelatine mixture.
Place over low heat; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 6 minutes
or until gelatine dissolves and mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining milk and rum.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
- Beat egg whiles until stiff, but not dry.
- Add remaining sugar gradually; beat until very stiff. Fold in gelatine mixture;
fold in whipped cream.
- Turn into prepared pan; chill for several hours or until firm (may be chilled overnight).
- Release spring; remove side of pan.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream, pieces of maraschino cherry and chopped pistachio
nuts, if desired.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.