The Phoenician Avocado Parfait with
Sweet and Sour Cranberries
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 1/3 cups milk
- 2 2/3 cups honey
- Approximately 3 tablespoons egg yolks
- 5 sheets gelatin
- 3 1/3 cups whipped cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh, ripe Chilean Hass avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 lime zest and juice
For cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- Orange zest and juice
- 12 ounces cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- For parfait: Soften gelatin in cold water.
- Combine milk, honey, vanilla bean in a medium saucepot and bring
to a boil. Before it boils, turn heat to medium and simmer for
- Gently mix the egg yolks and add to the milk mixture and whisk
well. Cook the mixture over a low flame until the milk thickens
and holds onto the back of a spoon (about 10-12 minutes).
- When the mixture is cooked, add the softened gelatin and stir
well. Strain and cool the mixture.
- Meanwhile, puree the avocado and lime juice and set aside.
- When cooled, measure 6 2/3 cups of the milk, honey and egg mixture
and mix it up with the avocado puree. Gently fold in the whipped
cream and mix well. Pour the mixture into ring molds or individual
serving dishes and freeze for at least 4 hours to set.
- For cranberry sauce: Cook the butter and ginger until aromatic
and then add orange zest and juice. Stir in the cranberries.
Add water and cook over low heat for 10-12 minutes.
- When cooked, puree and pass through a strainer for a smooth
sauce. Once smooth sauce is achieved, pour over avocado parfait.
Source: Chef Bradford Thompson, The Phoenician, Phoenix, Arizona
>> All Christmas Recipes