- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups herb-seasoned stuffing croutons
- 1 cup crushed corn bread stuffing or crumbled corn bread
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (5 to 7 pound) roasting chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a large skillet, sauté the celery, onion and cranberries
in 1/2 cup of butter until tender.
- Stir in the garlic, stuffing and enough broth to moisten; set aside.
- Place chicken with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Combine salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and sage; sprinkle over
inside and outside of chicken. Loosely stuff with cranberry mixture.
- Melt remaining butter; brush over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until
juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees F
for the chicken and 165 degrees F for the stuffing, basting occasionally.
Serves 6 to 8
Stuffing may be baked separately in a greased 1 1/2-quart
baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.