Fruit Stuffed Roast Goose with Wine
- 1 (10 pound) goose
- 1 pound prunes
- 2 pounds cooking apples, peeled and sliced fine
- 2 cups claret or burgundy
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup zwieback crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Salt, pepper and flour
- Singe, clean, wash and dry goose. Rub inside and out with salt.
- Fill goose loosely with fruit stuffing made as follows:
- Soak prunes in water overnight. Cook until tender in 1 cup wine.
Add apples, zwieback crumbs, sugar and salt to taste.
- After filling goose, close openings with skewers. Tuck under
tips of wings and tie legs together. Prick skin at several places to allow fat to run out.
- Roast breast side down in covered roasting pan in hot oven (400
degrees F) for 1 hour.
- Roast breast-side-up, uncovered, in slow oven (325 degrees F) until done.
- Baste frequently with mixture of 1 cup hot wine and 1 cup hot
water. Allow 20 to 25 minutes per pound for total roasting.
- Skim fat from liquid in bottom of pan. Measure liquid: add enough
water to make 3 cups. Thicken with flour as desired. Season with salt and pepper.
Serves 8 to 10.
From the kitchen of FootsieBear
Source: Mary Margaret McBride Cookbook 1959
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.