Standing Rib Roast with Horseradish Sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 (3 or 4-rib roast) trimmed of excess fat, feather bone and ribs loosened and tied in place
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (not creamed) or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash or 2 of hot pepper sauce
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine flour, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Rub roast completely with
- Place roast fat side up in shallow roasting pan (a rack is not
necessary since bones form natural rack). Insert meat thermometer into thickest
part of roast, making sure tip does not touch bone.
- To determine roasting time:
Very rare -15 to 17 minutes per pound or
130 degrees F on thermometer.
Medium rare -18 to 20 minutes per pound or
150 degrees F on thermometer.
Well done - 22 to 28 minutes per pound or 165
degrees F on thermometer.
- When desired doneness is reached, turn heat off, leave oven door ajar and
allow meat to rest 20 minutes, or if oven is needed for another purpose, remove
roast and let stand in a warm place near the oven. (This makes carving easier,
and less juice will run out onto the platter so the meat will be more succulent.)
Discard strings and serve roast with horseradish sauce.
- If preparing two roasts, place side by side in 17 1/2 x 12 inch roasting
- Horseradish Sauce: Combine all ingredients and mix well. Chill before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 4/6/02 10:52:55 am.