Vegetable Lasagna in Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups POLLY-O Original Ricotta Cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked, drained
- 3 cups POLLY-O Pizza Shreds 4 Cheese Blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on low heat. Stir in flour, salt and ground red
pepper; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended. Cook over medium heat until
mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add broccoli, carrots, bell peppers,
onions and garlic; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- Mix ricotta cheese and basil.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the Parmesan sauce into 12 x 8-inch baking dish; cover with
layers of 3 of the noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture, 1/3 of the vegetable
mixture, 1 cup of the pizza shreds and 1/3 of the remaining Parmesan sauce.
- Repeat layers of noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, vegetable mixture, pizza shreds
and Parmesan sauce. Top with remaining 3 noodles, remaining Parmesan sauce, remaining
vegetable mixture and remaining 1 cup pizza shreds; cover.
- Bake for 55 minutes.
- Uncover. Bake an additional 5 minutes. or until hot and bubbly.
Serve this meatless main dish with a crisp, mixed green salad.
Substitute 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained,
for the chopped fresh broccoli. Add to the cooked vegetable mixture before layering
with other ingredients as directed.
Nutritional Information: Calories 450 Total fat 27 g Saturated fat 14 g Cholesterol
75 mg Sodium 610 mg Carbohydrate 28 g Dietary fiber 3 g Sugars 8 g Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 60 %DV Vitamin C 45 %DV Calcium 60 %DV Iron 8 %DV
Reprinted with permission from