Chocolate Cherries Cookies Mix in a Jar
- 1 wide mouth quart size canning jar per child
- Rings and flat lids
- Colorful print fabric to cut in 6 inch circles
- Dry measuring cups
- Paper, pencils, color markers to make labels
- Tape or yarn to attach labels
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dried cherries
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a wide mouth quart jar, layer ingredients in order listed. Press after each layer before adding next ingredient.
- Attach the following recipe on a gift label:
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
Yield: 3 dozen
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Empty jar of cookie mix into a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly blend the mix ingredients. Add 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened,
1 large egg, slightly beaten, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix until completely blended—it will be a very stiff mix and may require hand mixing.
Grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Shape dough in to balls the size of walnuts. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet. Remove to racks to finish cooling.
Tips for Packing Mix Jars
- Use dry measuring cups and measure accurately
- Do not assume a pasta sauce or mayonnaise jar is a quart.
- Blend the flour, baking powder, soda and salt with a wire whisk.
- Pack layers tightly in the order they are listed so all the ingredients will fit and won't get mixed up.
- If you want to keep two layers separate, cut a circle of wax paper and lay between.
- If baking cocoa is in the middle, wipe down the inside of the jar with paper towel to prevent streaking.
- Place lid on to pack tightly the last layer.
- Lay fabric ring over lid and screw on the ring portion of the lid.
Per serving: One of 36 cookies (1.1 ounces each) provides approximately: 131 calories, 1g protein, 20g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g total fat (2g saturated), 6mg cholesterol, 10mcg folate, 1g iron, 72mg sodium
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Wheat Foods Council