- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups Quaker Oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds (optional)
- Decorating icing
- Semisweet chocolate pieces
- Candy-coated chocolate pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- Beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add egg, milk and almond extract; beat
well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, dried cherries
and almonds; mix well. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. With moistened hands,
pat dough onto prepared cookie sheets into 1/4-inch thick holiday shapes such as
stockings, Christmas trees or candy canes.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes
on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack with wide spatula or pancake turner.
- Cool completely.
- Decorate cookies as desired.
Makes 4 jumbo cookies.
For Gift Giving: Wrap decorated cookies individually in plastic wrap. Pack each
cookie in separate gift bag filled with crumpled tissue paper in holiday colors.
For easy drop cookies, heat oven to 375 degrees F. Follow recipe as directed
above except drop dough by rounded measuring tablespoonsful onto ungreased cookie
sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool for 1 minute
on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Source: Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):