Carrots with Rum Raisins
An elegant side dish that is sure to collect compliments.
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 pearl onions, peeled and cut in half
tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 pounds baby-cut carrots
- 1/3 cup dry white
wine or apple juice
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill weed or 1/4 teaspoon
dried dill weed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup
whipping (heavy) cream
- Pour rum over raisins. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Cook onions in butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in carrots and raisins (with rum). Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid
- Stir in wine, dill weed, salt and red pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots
- Stir in whipping cream. Heat to boiling. Boil uncovered 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Makes 8 servings.
Instead of the rum, you can use 1/2 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon rum extract.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 110 );
Total Fat 12 g (Saturated Fat 7 g); Cholesterol 35 mg; Sodium 300 mg; Total Carbohydrate
22 g (Dietary Fiber 4 g); Protein 2 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 100 %; Vitamin C 10 %; Calcium 6 %; Iron
Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help maintain Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.