Classic Baked Corn Pudding
Creamy corn bakes into old-fashioned comfort food. This cheesy version of Classic Baked Corn Pudding is a mainstay for many family gatherings.
Yield: 16 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk (1 quart)
- 6 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 2 (1 pound) bags Green Giant Niblets frozen whole kernel corn, thawed*
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup Progresso plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish or 3-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Stir in milk. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Gradually stir in eggs and cheese.
- Stir in corn and parsley. Pour into baking dish.
- In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over corn mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 55 to 65 minutes or until mixture is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
* You can use three 15.25-ounce cans of Green Giant whole kernel corn, drained, instead of the frozen corn.
For a change of flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves with the parsley.
Per 1 serving: Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 150); Total Fat 16g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat 1/2g); Cholesterol 120mg; Sodium 310mg; Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 5g); Protein 11g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 15%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: