Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 3 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 3/4 cups herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups turkey or chicken broth
- Combine first 5 ingredients. Stir lightly.
- Add buttermilk and eggs. Mix well.
- Stir in celery and onion.
- Heat bacon drippings in 10 inch iron skillet until very hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon drippings to batter. Mix well.
- Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 450 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until bread is lightly browned.
- Crumble into large mixing bowl.
- Add stuffing mix and sage. Set aside.
- Place soup in medium saucepan.
- Gradually stir broth into soup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. Pour over crumb mixture. Stir well.
- Spoon into well-greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.