New England Stuffing
My mom begged for this recipe after I served it for our “first” Thanksgiving
dinner, being just married, and now it's a family favorite. This is the only
recipe MY MOTHER asked me to have and for a proud cook, that's a big deal! I
love it! It's different and yet comforting and familiar.
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
large onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) jar steamed
or roasted chestnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon poultry
- 22 ounces oyster crackers, lightly crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken
- 1 egg
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage until cooked through, crumbling as you cook.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat.
- Add onions and celery. Sauté until tender (8 minutes).
- Mix in chestnuts, parsley and 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning.
- Add to sausages and mix in crackers.
- Spoon in turkey.
- To remaining stuffing, mix in chicken stock, egg and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for the last 40 minutes of the turkey's cooking time.
Posted by artsycook at Recipe Goldmine 11/12/2001 9:48 pm.