Almond Apricot Bars
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted and divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Place apricots in small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover the apricots,
bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.
- Drain well and coarsely chop and set aside.
- Blend 1 cup flour with granulated sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. (I
do this in a food processor - pulse a few times and that's it. Be careful not to over process.)
- Add 1/2 cup almonds and stir or pulse a few times to mix.
- Pat into an UNGREASED 9-inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Beat eggs and brown sugar.
- Add extracts, peel, lemon juice baking powder
and the remaining 1/3 cup flour and stir to blend.
- Stir in chopped apricots.
- Pour over partially baked crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup almonds.
- Bake for 25 minutes more.
- Cool in pan on a rack.
- Cut into squares.
Yield: about 24 bars
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 1/11/2002 3:12 pm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Bar Cookie Recipes