Apricot Oatmeal Linzer Bars
- 2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 2 cups ground almonds or pecans, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks or 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (18 ounce) jar apricot preserves (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In medium bowl, combine oats, 1 1/2 cups ground almonds, flour and salt;
mix well. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar until creamy.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla and almond extracts; beat well.
- Stir in oat mixture; mix
well. Reserve 1 1/3 cups; put in small bowl and set aside.
- Spread remaining oat mixture on bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
- In small bowl, combine preserves, apricots and liqueur; mix well. Spread
evenly over partially baked crust.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup ground almonds to reserved
oat mixture; mix well.
- Drop by 1/4 teaspoonsful evenly over apricot mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars.
- Store tightly covered.
Recipe and photo credit: Quaker Oats