Brandy Crème Brûlée Bars
A miniature cousin to restaurant-popular Crème Brûlée, you'll find these
bars every bit as creamy and wonderful.
- 1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine,
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups whipping (heavy) cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brandy or 1 1/2 teaspoons brandy extract
- 1/3 cup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar and
the butter with spoon.
- Press on bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of ungreased square
pan, 9 x 9 x 2 inches.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks
and 1/4 cup sugar with spoon until thick.
- Gradually stir in whipping cream and
brandy. Pour over baked layer.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until custard is set and knife inserted in
center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- For bars, cut into 6 rows by 6 rows. Place bars on cookie sheet lined with
- In heavy 1-quart saucepan, heat 1/3 cup sugar over medium heat until sugar
begins to melt. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved and caramel colored.
Cool slightly until caramel has thickened slightly.
- Drizzle hot caramel over
bars. (If caramel begins to harden, return to medium heat and stir until thin
enough to drizzle.)
- After caramel on bars has hardened, cover and refrigerate bars for up to
Prep Time 25 Minutes | Total Time 2:35 Hrs:Mins | Makes 3 dozen bars
Recipe and photo credit: