This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (or soured milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or mini chips)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready a 12 x 18-inch jellyroll pan.
- Cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix dry ingredients together
and add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares or bars.