Candied Ginger-Cardamom Bars
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large
egg, beaten to blend
- 3/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (about 4 1/2
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick
- Blend flour, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and salt in processor.
- Add butter;
using on/off turns, process until coarse meal forms.
- Add 2 tablespoons beaten
egg; blend until moist crumbs form.
- Add ginger. Using on/off turns, process
until moist clumps form.
- Press dough evenly over bottom of prepared pan.
- Brush remaining beaten egg
- Using small sharp knife, score top of dough with diagonal lines
spaced 1 inch apart. Repeat in opposite direction, forming lattice pattern.
- Bake until pastry is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean,
about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; cool completely in pan. (Can be made 2 days
ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
- Cut pastry square into 3 long rectangles. Cut each rectangle crosswise into
8 rectangular bars, making 24 bars total.
Yield: 24 bars
Source: Bon Appetit - December 2002