Caramel Apple Bars
- 1 1/2 cups oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup caramel or butterscotch-caramel ice cream topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan with
- In large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; mix
- Place 1 cup mixture in small bowl; stir in melted butter. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine applesauce and oil; mix well. Add to oat mixture
in large bowl; mix well. Press mixture onto bottom of pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown; cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon chopped apples evenly over cooled crust.
- Drizzle ice cream topping over apples.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture, patting gently.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars.
Nutrition facts per serving: 100 calories, total fat 3.5 g, saturated fat
1 g, cholesterol 3 mg, sodium 65 mg, total carbohydrates 16 g, dietary fiber 1 g,
protein 1 g