Caramel Apple Bars 2
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped, peeled
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening.
- Stir in the 1 3/4 cups flour, the
oats, salt and baking soda.
- Remove 2 cups of the mixture, reserve.
- Press remaining
mixture in ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan.
- Toss apples and the 3 tablespoons flour, spread over mixture in pan.
- Melt caramels in a double boiler, stirring until melted. Pour evenly over
- Top with reserved oat mixture. Press down lightly.
- Bake until golden brown and apples are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars, about 2 x 1 1/2 inches, while warm.
- Refrigerate any remaining bars.
Yield: 36 bars, 135 calories each