Caramel Walnut Bars
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup cold margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 24 caramels, unwrapped
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar and egg; cut in 1/2 cup margarine until crumbly. Stir
in walnuts. Reserving 2 cups crumb mixture, press remainder firmly on bottom
of greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt caramels with sweetened
condensed milk and remaining 1/4 cup margarine. Pour over prepared crust. Top
with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Cool. Cut into bars.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.