Caribbean Coco-Almond Bars
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup toasted and finely chopped almonds (about 3 ounces)*
- 1 tablespoon dark rum**
- 1 1/2 cups medium shred unsweetened coconut***
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (at least 60% cocoa), chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or evaporated milk
- Additional 1 cup shredded coconut and/or sliced almonds
* To toast almonds, place nuts in a single layer in an ungreased shallow pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pan
** Fruit juice (such as orange juice) may be substituted for dark rum.
*** Unsweetened coconut can be found at many specialty and health food stores.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch square pan with heavy-duty
foil that extends over edges of pan; butter foil.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade or in a large bowl with a
pastry blender, combine first 5 ingredients; add butter in small intervals while
mixing until texture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add nuts and rum; blend.
- Press dough firmly and evenly into pan. Bake until crust deflates (it will
puff at first) and edges are barely firm to touch, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly
on wire rack.
- As crust cools, blend filling ingredients together in a bowl. When crust
is firm and still warm, spoon on filling; spread evenly. Return pan to oven
and bake until edges turn golden, about 15 minutes. Remove and cool in pan on
- Make chocolate layer by combining all ingredients in a small saucepan over
low heat or microwave-safe bowl. Heat (in 30 second intervals, if in microwave)
while whisking until melted and smooth. Pour hot topping over filling; spread
evenly. If desired, sprinkle coconut and/or almonds evenly over top while chocolate
layer is still hot.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before bringing to room temperature
and cutting into bars.
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.