Cheddar Apple Pie Bars
This easy-as-pie bar is inspired by the classic Midwest Cheddar and apple pie combo.
Prep: 30 min | Bake: 40 min | Yield: 12 servings
- 1 (16.5 ounce) roll Pillsbury™ refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8 inch square (2 quart) baking dish with cooking parchment paper, leaving paper overhanging on two sides.
- Using a pastry blender, mix 1 roll (16.5 ounces) Pillsbury™ sugar cookie dough with 1 1/2 cups finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (6 ounces) until evenly incorporated.
- Press two-thirds of mixture evenly into baking dish.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice 2 large Granny Smith apples.
- In medium bowl, toss apples with 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- To remaining cookie dough mixture, add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon sugar; combine with pastry blender.
- Spread apple mixture evenly over crust in baking dish; top with remaining cookie dough mixture.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until top is light golden brown.
- Cool for 2 hours.
- Cut into 4 rows by 3 rows.
- After cooling at room temperature, the bars can be put into an airtight container and stored in the refrigerator. The longer they cool, the easier they will be to cut.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
By Aaron Hutcherson