Cherry Macaroon Bars
- 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup butter,
- 1 (10 ounce) package (3 3/4 cups) sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 13 red or green maraschino cherries, halved
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 9-inch square baking pan.
- Stir together crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and melted butter. Press onto bottom
of prepared pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven; leave oven on.
- Stir together coconut, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, flour and salt. Add egg
whites, egg and almond extract. Spread mixture over crumb mixture; press in
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cover; cut into bars.
Yield: 25 bars