Cherry Truffle Squares
Yield: 48 bars
- 1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, chopped (about 30 cherries)
- 1 cup white vanilla chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Garnish, if desired: Chocolate shavings or curls
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut cookie dough in half crosswise. Cut each section in half lengthwise. With floured fingers, press dough into bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch pan to form base.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Cool for 45 minutes or until completely cooled.
- In medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add cocoa, corn syrup and milk; blend well. Add confectioners' sugar; mix until smooth. Press over cooled crust. Top with cherries; gently press into filling.
- In small microwave-safe bowl, combine vanilla chips, and shortening. Microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Spoon and spread over filling.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- Cut into squares or diamond-shaped pieces. Garnish with chocolate-shavings.