Chewy Cherry Bars 2
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter,
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all- purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 (10 ounce) jars maraschino cherries, drained and coarsely
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- For the crust, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda in mixing
bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, beat eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract together thoroughly.
- Combine flour and baking powder; stir into egg mixture, mixing well. Stir
in coconut, maraschino cherries and pecans. Spread evenly over crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely.
- If desired, prepare the icing by combining butter, vanilla extract, powdered
sugar and milk. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread over bars.
Makes about 4 dozen bars.
Recipe and photo credit: National Cherry Growers Foundation.