Chewy Praline Bars
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup shortening (such as Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup vanilla flavored baking chips
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 2/3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine, softened
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 15 x 10 x 2-inch jellyroll pan with cooking
- Combine flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat butter, shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour mixture and pecans.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned and wooden pick inserted
into the center comes out clean.
- Cool pan on rack.
- Meanwhile, heat the baking chips in the top of a double boiler over hot,
not boiling, water, stirring until chips are melted and smooth.
- Drizzle cookie with melted chips and let cool.
Yield: about 64 bars
Source: Family Circle Magazine