This Chinese Chews recipe first appeared in the June 1917 issue of Good
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dates
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly coat an 8-inch square baking
dish with nonstick spray oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the sugar, walnuts and dates and mix well to combine.
- Add the beaten eggs.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the batter is set and dry-looking.
- Cool slightly, then cut into bars. Spread some confectioners' sugar
on a plate and dip the tops of the bars in the sugar.
- Store in airtight containers for several days.
Yield: 20 bars