- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 3/4 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 cup dark-colored corn syrup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
- Shredded orange peel (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Crust: Stir together flour and powdered sugar. Using a pastry blender
or two knives, cut in the 3/4 cup butter until pieces are the size of small
- Stir in the 1 1/2 cups pecans.
- Press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake in a 325 degrees F oven about 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Filling: In a medium saucepan combine corn syrups, brown sugar and
the 1/4 cup butter. Cook over medium heat just until mixture begins to bubble
around edges and butter is melted, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool
for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed
- Gradually add syrup mixture, beating until smooth. Stir in the
2 cups pecans, the 1 teaspoon orange peel and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the filling over crust. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack; chill about 1 hour or until firm enough to cut.
- Serve with Orange Cream and, if desired, shredded orange peel.
- Orange Cream: In a chilled medium mixing bowl combine whipping cream, sugar
and sour cream. Beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on low to
medium speed until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add orange liqueur or orange extract, finely shredded orange peel and vanilla
extract. Beat on low speed just until soft peaks form.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Yield: 48 squares
Source: Better Homes and Gardens Celebrate the Season 2001