Elegant little bars with a "melt in your mouth" topping.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, beaten until foamy
- 1 cup
firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flaked dried coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, cream together, butter, sugar, egg and egg yolk.
- In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture,
milk and vanilla extract to butter mixture beating well. Batter will be thick.
- Spread in a well-greased 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg white, brown sugar, coconut and vanilla extract.
Spread mixture evenly over batter.
- Bake until golden on top and tester inserted in center comes out clean, approximately
30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack, cut into bars and serve.
Posted by bettyboop50 at recipegoldmine.com.