Date Nut Bars
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (about 6 ounces)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until light
and fluffy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add orange juice and peel; beat well. Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture gradually, mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Add dates and pecans; stir gently until evenly distributed.
- Spread batter in greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean,
30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Cut into 24 bars, about 2 1/4 x 2 inches each. Sprinkle date bars with powdered
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Makes: 24 bars
Remember to grate the peel before juicing the orange.
Nutrition Information Per Serving calories: 131 total fat: 6g saturated fat:
1g polyunsaturated fat: 2g monounsaturated fat: 3g cholesterol: 31mg sodium: 34mg
carbohydrates: 19g dietary fiber: 2g protein: 2g
vitamin A: 52.9IU vitamin D: 6.8IU folate: 12.7mcg calcium: 29.2mg iron:
0.6mg choline: 24.9mg
Recipe and photo credit: American Egg Board.