Date Nut Squares
Reminiscent of the crumbly-crusted date-nut squares you'd find
in a New England bakery, this version of an old favorite adds some
autumn-type spices to the crust.
- 1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour, traditional or white whole wheat
- 1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice OR a combination of 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) cold unsalted butter
- 2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) pitted dried dates
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) boiling water
- 1/4 cup (1 7/8 ounces) packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) toasted walnuts*
* Toasting the walnuts before using them brings out a nutty
essence. Toast nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet in a
350 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes - just until you can start to
smell them; let cool before using.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Combine the flours, sugar, apple pie spice, and salt. Stir to
- Cut the butter into pieces and blend it into the dry
ingredients, using your fingertips or a pastry blender; the mixture will be crumbly.
- Pour 2/3 of this into the prepared pan and pat down.
- Soften dates in the boiling water.
- Add the sugar and process in a blender or food processor until pureed.
- Add the walnuts.
- Spread the filling on top of the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved crust on top of the filling.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. The top should be lightly browned.
- Cool completely and cut into 20 squares.
Nutrition information per serving (1 square, 50 g): 181
cal, 8 g fat, 2 g protein, 17 g complex carbohydrates, 8 g sugar,
2 g dietary fiber, 13 mg cholesterol, 20 mg sodium, 190 mg potassium,
1 mg iron, 27 mg calcium, 43 mg phosphorus
This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet Newsletter, Vol.
III, No. 8, September-October 1992 issue.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
King Arthur Flour - kingarthurflour.com
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.