Double Decker Pecan Squares
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces finely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toast pecans in the oven for 10 minutes or until they smell toasty. Chop them
- To make the bottom layer, combine flour, sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl.
- Add butter and use 2 knives or a pastry blender to cut the butter into the cocoa mixture
until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in the pecans.
- Add egg and stir to
blend. Press the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the top layer, beat cream cheese with sour cream and sugar
until the mixture is creamy and evenly mixed, scraping the bowl several times as
- Add egg and beat briefly to mix.
- Add milk and flour and beat again to combine evenly.
- Spread on baked crust in pan.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until set.
- Cool, chill thoroughly and cut into squares.
Makes 16 squares.