- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 7 tablespoons fresh
lemon juice with pulp
- 1/4 cup finely grated lemon peel (from about 6 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Additional powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in 2/3 cup
- Add 2 cups all-purpose flour, one cup at a time, beating until moist
- Using back of fork, press dough over bottom of nonstick 13 x 9 x 2-inch
metal baking pan.
- Bake crust until light golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat 2 cups sugar and eggs in medium bowl until blended.
- Beat in fresh
lemon juice with pulp, lemon peel and baking powder, then remaining 1/4 cup all-purpose
flour for filling.
- Pour lemon filling over hot crust.
- Bake until filling is set in center and begins
to brown on top, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer pan to rack and cool completely. (Can
be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Cut pastry into 24 bars.
- Transfer lemon bars to serving platter and dust with
additional powdered sugar.
Test-kitchen tip: To remove all juice and pulp for the lemon filling, cut lemons
in half and use a tiny spoon to scoop between the membranes; discard seeds.
Source: Bon Appétit, August 2005