English Toffee Sticks
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream butter and sugar; add egg yolk.
- Mix in flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Spread in a 15 x 10-inch shallow pan.
- Cover with the unbeaten egg white,
smoothing over with hand to glaze entire surface. Pour off excess egg white.
- Press nuts gently into dough with hand.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes,
placing a pan of hot water underneath the cookies for the first 15 minutes.
- Cut into sticks while hot, but leave in pan until cold.