Fruit Jelly Squares
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup sugar-coated fruit jellies, (about 10 ounces), cut in half
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, cut in 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Butter bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger into a large bowl.
- Add fruit jellies, dates, walnuts and raisins to the flour mixture. Stir just
to combine fruit and nuts with flour.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, blend butter and brown sugar on medium
speed until mixture is smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract; mix for 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape bowl with rubber spatula once during this mixing.
- Add flour mixture; blend until flour is incorporated. Spread batter evenly in
- Bake for 1 hour, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
- Cool cake in pan about 2 hours.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
- Cut into 25 pieces. Remove squares from pan.
- Squares may be wrapped individually
in plastic wrap and stored in airtight container.