Gingerbread Bars with Lemon
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4
cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon
- Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking
spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter in large mixer bowl.
- Beat in 3/4 cup sugar, egg, ginger, and
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add to butter mixture
and mix well.
- Stir in molasses and water; mix until just blended.
- Spread in
- Beat cream cheese in a large mixer bowl until smooth.
- Stir in confectioners'
sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract; beat until smooth.
- Using 1/2 cup icing,
spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each) over batter in pan.
- With a knife, swirl
icing through ginger base with 3 to 4 large strokes in each direction to marbleize.
- Refrigerate remaining icing.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes or until batter begins to pull away from edges.
- Spread icing over bars. Cut using a sharp knife.
- Store in refrigerator.
Yield: 27 bar cookies
Calories: 131, Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 28 mg, Sodium: 117 mg, Carbohydrates:
16 g, Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 1 g