Glazed Apple Pie Bars
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, chilled
- 1 egg, separated, yolk beaten with enough milk to equal 2/3 cups - reserve white
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 8 to 10 medium (8 cup) tart cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 reserved egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly.
- With fork, stir in egg yolk and milk until dough forms a ball; divide in half.
lightly flured surface roll 1/2 of dough into 15 x 10-inch rectangle; place
on bottom of a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan.
- Sprinkle with corn flakes; top with apples.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup sugar, 1 /2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle over apples.
- Roll remaining half of dough into a 15 x 1/2 x 10 1/2-inch
rectangle; place over apples.
- Beat egg white with fork until foamy; brush over top crust.
- In a small bowl stir together 2 tablespoons sugar and remaining cinnamon;
sprinkle over crust.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl stir together confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract
and enough milk for desired glazing consistency; drizzle over warm bars.