Gooey Cherry Bars
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter,
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries,
drained and juice reserved
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners'
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar and the 3/4 cup butter until
- Press into prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until light brown.
- In a food processor, combine eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract and baking
powder and process until smooth.
- Pour in cherries and walnuts and pulse until
just chopped and incorporated, but not pulverized.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake 25 minutes, until center is set.
- To frost, cream together confectioners' sugar with the 2 tablespoons
butter and 4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice until fluffy.
bars, and cut.
Makes 36 servings