Layered Date Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl combine flour, brown sugar and butter; mix until crumbly.
- Press into an ungreased 11 x 7-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 8 to 10
minutes or until light golden brown.
- In medium saucepan combine dates, sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat
until mixture boils, stirring constantly; simmer 3 minutes.
- Blend about l/4 cup of date mixture into the beaten egg; then return mixture
to saucepan and cook over medium heat until mixture bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in the vanilla extract, cereal and walnuts.
- Spread over baked crust.
- Combine frosting ingredients; beat at low speed until smooth.
- Spread over filling.
- Cut into bars.