Layered Rainbow Cookies
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitute)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 drops red food coloring
- 7 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless red raspberry jam
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- Grease the bottoms of 3 matching 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pans. Line the pans
with wax paper, then grease the paper. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees
- Place almond paste in a large mixing bowl; break up with a fork.
- Separate the eggs.
- Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks until light, fluffy and smooth.
- Stir in flour.
- In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold into dough, mixing until thoroughly blended.
- Divide dough into 3 portions - about 1 1/3 cups each.
- Color one portion
with red food coloring and one with the green; leave the remaining portion uncolored.
- Spread each portion into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- Invert onto wire rack remove wax paper. Place another wire rack on top and
turn over. Cool completely.
- Place green layer on a large piece of plastic wrap.
- Spread evenly with raspberry jam.
- Top with the uncolored layer and spread with apricot jam.
- Top with pink layer.
- Bring plastic wrap over layers. Slide onto a cookie sheet and set a cutting
board or heavy flat pan on the top to compress layers.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Spread over top layer; allow to harden.
- With a sharp knife trim edges. Cut into 1/2 inch strips across
the width; then cut each strip into 4 to 5 pieces.
- Store in airtight containers.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.