Lemon Love Notes
"Snowy confectioners' sugar coating contributes to the cookies'
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Mix butter, 1 cup flour and confectioners' sugar.
- Press into an ungreased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F) for 8 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and baking powder.
- Add eggs, lemon juice and peel. Mix well.
- Pour evenly over baked, cooled mixture in pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F) 25 minutes. (Top puffs up in baking,
but falls in cooling.)
- Cool in pan on rack and cut in 2-inch squares.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Source: Homemade Cookies by the Food Editors of Farm Journal (1971)