Lemon Meringue Bars
- 1 package pie crust mix
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Blend pie crust mix, the 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 of the eggs in a medium
size bowl with a pastry blender.
- Pat dough gently into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack, leaving oven on.
- Beat the 3 remaining eggs and the 1 cup sugar in a medium size bowl with
electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in lemon rind and juice and flour; pour mixture over pie crust.
- Return to oven; bake 15 minutes longer.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a medium size bowl with an electric
mixer until frothy.
- Beat in remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue
forms stiff peaks.
- Remove pan from oven. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Spread meringue mixture over lemon mixture.
- Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more or until meringue peaks are golden
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut with a wet knife into bars.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.