This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Malted Milk Squares
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Malted Milk Topping
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder (no sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups malted milk balls candies (about 5 ounces), coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan. Line
pan with foil; grease foil.
- Chocolate Base: In heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt butter with chocolates
over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- With wooden spoon, stir in sugar and vanilla, then stir eggs until well mixed.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt into chocolate mixture
just until blended.
- Pread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until
a wooden pick inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Malted-Milk Topping: In small bowl, mix malted milk powder, milk
and vanilla extract until mixed.
- Stir in butter, then confectioners' sugar, until blended.
- With small metal spatula, spread topping over cooled bars;
top with chopped malted milk ball candies.
- When topping is firm, transfer with foil to cutting board.
- Cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.
Yield: 32 bars