Mexican Chocolate Bars
A festive treat that can be enjoyed on any occasion. These rich, Mexican Chocolate Bars are topped with cinnamon and walnuts, giving them a soothing aroma and delicate crunch. This recipe yields about 45 bars and can be made in under 30 minutes.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/3 tablespoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Challenge Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) bag (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 15 x 10 x 3/4-inch jellyroll pan.
- Combine flour, 1 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon and baking powder. Set aside.
- Beat butter, 1 whole egg, egg yolk, water and vanilla extract. Blend in dry ingredients.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Beat egg white slightly; brush over mixture in pan. Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, chocolate pieces and nuts. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (don’t over bake). Cool.
- Cut into 2 1/2 x 1-inch bars.
Yield: 45 bars
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
>> BAR COOKIE RECIPES
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.